Sledgehammer Bomber Build Theme
The Sledgehammer is a Republic Bomber class ship. It’s counterpart is the Sith Decimus. While it is a bomber, it is almost a hybrid with a Strike Fighter. While it still leans heavily on a traditional bomber role, it is capable of doing some dogfighting. It can also be used as an anti-bomber ship. Fans of bombers or strike fighters may enjoy this ship.
There are a few setups you can use based on what you like to do. You can set it up to lean a little more on dogfighting, or more towards satellite defense. The difference is only a component or two. It can also be anti-bomber with a couple of different components as well.
The first three will be your in-game weapons, the last two will be your in-game abilities.
- Primary Weapons : Heavy Laser Cannons really pack a punch.
- Secondary Weapons : Concussion Missiles – Great for dogfighting. Cluster missiles are also an option. Protons for anti-bomber.
- Systems : Interdiction Sentry Drone – Super fun to deploy against enemy fighters. If you prefer satellite defense, go with the Concussion Mine.
- Shields : Directional Shield – Takes some effort to work, but even left alone it’s pretty good. Charged Plating for anti-bomber.
- Engines : Power Dive – The best engine component in the game. Takes getting used to, but the low cooldown time makes it worthwhile.
These are purely passive stats:
- Capacitor : Range Capacitor – Increase blaster range is great for Heavy Cannons!
- Magazine : Regeneration Extender – Heavy Laser Cannon draws considerable power.
- Reactor: Turbo Reactor – Syncs with Directional Shield to decrease your shield regen cooldown.
- Thrusters : Turning Thrusters – I had trouble steering at first. Regeneration Thrusters may be viable once you get the hang of it.
Are you kidding? This thing looks Beautiful. Like a B-wing!
The companions have various passive skills across different classes. Look for the companions with the listed skills.
- Co-Pilot – Hydro Spanner (T7-01) This will keep you repaired. Use Lieutenant Iresso if you want to be more offensive.
- Offensive – Improved Killzone and Pinpointing – Bigger kill box and better blaster accuracy . (Qyzen Fess)
- Defensive – Structural Support and Quick Recharge – Improves defenses and improves shield recharge time. (Guss Tuno)
- Tactical – Depth of Field and Silent Running – Increasing sensor range, and decreasing detection range. (Lieutenant Iresso)
- Engineering – Power to Blasters and Efficient Fire – More sustained blaster fire. (T7-01)
Strategy For Sledgehammer Pilots
The key to this ship is its Interdiction Drone. Drop it in the right place, and a spider web of tractor beams will slow your enemies to a crawl. Your teammates will love you. Gunships will herald your arrival in games. Learning where to place your drone is very important. It dies easily, and has a not-insignificant cooldown. It’s best place near satellites on Domination maps. Drop it bottom center and watch everyone trying to circle the satellite start to “RP walk” instead. Objective B in Kuat Mesa, and Objective C in the Lost Shipyards offer opportunities for laughs as well.
The “Spider Drone”
I call the Interdiction Drone a Spider drone. Then I start singing “spider pig” from Family Guy. The Interdiction Drone is the lynchpin to success. You are still partly a support role still. It does have some Strike Fighter capabilities (missiles), but you are certainly no Flashfire/Sting. Of the three bombers, this is the best suited for Team Deathmatch, though until you have some upgrades underneath your belt it could get ugly. Your Heavy Laser Cannons hits like a truck, so don’t be afraid to engage in a little dogfighting (and sniping if you have the ranged capacitor upgraded). Practice with drone placements on each map. Getting it just right bottom-center below a satellite takes some skill.
I’ll be updating the build as time, experience, and patches dictate. If you have any questions, or feedback, fire away in the comments below.