FT-8 Starguard Build Theme
The FT-8 Starguard is a Republic Strike fighter. It’s Sith Counterpart is the Rycer. The Starguard is a dogfighter, meaning it can get up close and personal. It’s strengths are against scouts, bombers, and other strike fighters. The Ion cannons make this an extremely versatile ship.
FT-8 Starguard Setup
Knowing what your Starguard is like in battle helps you set it up.
FT-8 Starguard Components
The first three will be your in-game weapons, the last two will be your in-game abilities.
- Primary Weapons : Heavy Laser Cannon
- Primary Weapons : Ion Cannon
- Secondary Weapons : Concussion Missiles – Close range, fast lock, good damage.
- Shields : Quick Charge Shields – Get some shields up fast when you run out. Directional Shield is also an option.
- Engines : Retro Thrusters – This is the best missile break for dogfighting. Koiogran Turn is also an option.
These are purely passive stats:
- Reactor : Large Reactor – More shields!
- Capacitor : Range Capacitor – You want Ions and Heavies at maximum reach. Damage Capacitor is also an option.
- Magazine : Regeneration Extender – Blasters are your main offensive weapon, so you want them always charging up.
- Thrusters : Regeneration Thrusters – Great for making sure you always have a little something when you need it.
FT-8 Starguard Cosmetics
Make it look good.
FT-8 Starguard Crew
The companions have various passive skills across different classes.
- Co-Pilot – Wingman (Lieutenant Iresso) Increased Accuracy and burst. Hydro Spanner also an option, but you’ll have to swap out your offensive crew(B-3G9).
- Offensive – Improved Kill Zone and Pinpointing – Much easier to hit with blasters. (Qyzen Fess)
- Defensive – Response Tuning and Power to Shields – Increased Evasion, and a bigger shield energy pool. (Nadia Grell)
- Tactical – Peripheral Vision and Silent Running – All about increasing detection time to lock on missiles sooner. (Lieutenant Iresso)
- Engineering – Power to Engines and Efficient Maneuvers – Sustained engine boosting, and lower ability costs. (C2-N2)
Strategy For FT-8 Starguard Pilots
You can ‘joust’ enemies, or attack them head on while they attack you. That’s where Retro Thrusters and Directional Shield can be beneficial. Concussion missiles are your clean up tool because they can pack quite a punch. Ion Cannons wreak havoc on enemy shields. You won’t get as many kills with an Ion build, but you’ll wreck the enemy team. Your Heavy Cannon is going to be your ‘main’ weapon, so upgrade those first. You can really tear into Scouts, and Bombers (anything really) will wither under your Ion Cannons.
- Check out my Dogfighting Guide for general tips.
Work Hard With The Starguard
Even though it’s a starter ship, the Starguard really is a good ship choice. Since it’s a strike fighter, you can take a little punishment. It’s the best strike fighter for dogfighting by far. Like all strikes, your engines are a weakness. Don’t overextend, and you’ll be blasting enemies left and right. Use your missile lock as psychological warfare, even if you aren’t going to shoot it. I’ll be updating the build as time, experience, and patches dictate. If you have any questions, or feedback, fire away in the comments below.