Emote spam and Trash Speak: When and Why?
The type of communication we’re talking about here is face-to face/adversarial. This does not mean using a second account or logging over to an alt to talk garbage. This is similar to the flag planting post in many ways, but there are a few differences. There are two types of communication you can use.
Emoting: /laugh, /wave, the list goes on and on. There are lots of emotes you can use, be creative! /pulse is a goodie!
Trash Speak: Trash speak because a) you’re talking trash, and b) it looks like trash to the enemy. Certain combinations of letters will make something legible to the opposing faction.
For example: AllianceBob yells, “D A P YU VB” HordeGuy sees, “Y O U LO SE”. I’ll be covering some of the phrases I know in another post here soon.
I recommend using these sparingly. If you do /emote or /trash, don’t yell the same thing twice. No one wants to be spammed, Horde or Alliance. I also talked to a GM once about it, and he told me yelling the same thing repeatedly could be considered spamming. So don’t take any chances, just do it once. I used to have a mod that would /emote from a personalized pool of emotes whenever I landed the killing blow on someone. It broke back in Classic WoW, and I haven’t been able to find another one like it.
As for the when and why, we’ll break these down into each form:
1. Someone has been annoying, for example killing me from half health, while fighting another
2. If someone has been with a group of friends and /emote spams at me while him and his friend(s) roflstomp me 10v1. Now that their fortunes have turned, it’s time for a little of their own medicine.
3. If I just plain don’t like someone. Personal discretion here.
4. Never use emoting just to be funny. It really irritates a lot of people, which is why people do it. I can’t tell you how many people I know get all bent out of shape over /spit. I’ve seen some people that want to /hug a Horde or someone they know, but I just don’t recommend it, at least in groups. Invariably someone in your group misconstrues it, and it becomes an emote spam fest. Not fun for the dead guy.
1. Just to be funny. I enjoy yelling funny things back and forth. This is your humor outlet, because you have to be creative to get your message across. Some of the translations are already a stretch, and are pretty humorous as is.
2. When someone hasn’t released. I can’t tell you how many people release when I start going down my list. They have no option but to sit there and take it!
3. Someone has been annoying, for example killing me from half health, while fighting another mob, killing all the quest mobs, dotting you up on your flying mount, etc.
4. If someone has been with a group of friends and /emote spams at me while him and his friend(s) roflstomp me 10v1. Now that their fortunes have turned, it’s time for a little of their own medicine.
5. If I just plain don’t like someone. Personal discretion here.
Feel free to post your own when and why in the comments below!